Variable Speed Drive Cable
National : CSA C22.2 N° 123; CSA C22.2 N° 174
Modern drive technology has enhanced the performance of industrial motors. Decreased switching time of the electronics in Variable Frequency, Pulse Width Modulation or Vector drives, means specialized cables connecting the drive unit and the motor become critical to the performance of these systems. Nexans DriveRx® cable is specially constructed to meet the challenges of modern adjustable speed drive systems.
Drive manufacturers recommend the Nexans cable construction, with the corrugated continuous aluminum sheath and 3 bonding conductors.
The three conductor construction virtually eliminates magnetic fields outside of the cable, so induced voltage from one power cable to another or cross talk to control/instrumentation cables is also reduced. The continuous aluminum sheath (as opposed to interlocked armour) acts as an effective shield for high frequency "noise" that may still be produced and could affect adjacent control and instrumentation cables. This sheath, in combination with the three grounding conductors, also acts as a long-term low resistance path to the ground. This will eliminate standing voltages that may be created on the motor frame and also reduce bearing currents due to this standing voltage or to common mode voltage.
Nexans DriveRx® cable is recommended for industrial, commercial and utility installations including outdoor wet locations. DriveRx® can be installed in tray, conduit or direct buried, strapped to walls or surface mounted. Although DriveRx® can be installed in tray or conduit, mechanical protection is NOT required, as DriveRx® is impact and crush resistant. Cable temperature rating is 90ºC to -40ºC. DriveRx® is flame, oil and UV resistant. Certification to standard C22.2 No. 174 allows installation in hazardous locations.
1) Where stated, “nominal” and “approximate” values are provided for information purposes only and are subject to standard manufacturing tolerances.
2) Based on 2012 CEC Table 2, for not more than 3 current carrying conductors in a cable or raceway.
3) The overcurrent protection shall not exceed 20 amperes for 12 AWG, and 30 amperes for 10 AWG after any corrections factors for ambient temperature and number of conductors have been applied (2012 CEC Rule 14-104(2)), or as provided for by other Rules of the 2012 CEC.
4) The maximum conductor temperature (used to determine the maximum conductor ampacity) shall be based on the lowest temperature rating of the electrical equipment, any wire connector, or cable (2012 CEC Rule 4-006).
5) Type D connectors are for use in dry locations only. Type W connectors are for use in dry or wet locations, and are approved for use in hazardous locations (Class II, Divisions 1 and 2, Groups E, F, and G, and Class III, Divisions 1 and 2).
6) The minimum bending radius is 9x the nominal sheath diameter for a trained cable (fixed installation -- 2012 CEC Rule 12-712(3)).
7) Use any TECK90 connector suitable for armour and jacket diameter, as well as the installation location.
8) Size of each bonding conductor. Total area of 3 conductors meets or exceeds bonding conductor size in 2012 CEC Table 16.
|Size AWG or kcmil||Bonding Conductor (Note 8)||Cable Core||Aluminum Sheath||PVC Jacket||Approx Net Cable Weight (Note 1)||Connectors (Nexans Catalogue No.) (Note 5)||Type W||Minimum Bending Radius||Ampacity (A) 30°C Ambient (Notes 2, 4)|
|Nominal Diameter||Nominal Diameter||Nominal Diameter||Under Tension||Trained (Note 6)|
|# x AWG||inch||inch||inch||kg/km||Type D||inch||inch||60ºC||75ºC||90ºC|
|12 (7) (Note 3)||3 x #18||0.39||0.59||0.70||235||16D2||16W2||8.27||5.31||25||25||30|
|10 (7) (Note 3)||3 x #16||0.44||0.62||0.72||285||16D2||16W2||8.85||5.71||30||35||40|
|8 (7)||3 x #14||0.48||0.75||0.86||396||20D3||20W3||10.63||6.89||40||50||55|
|6 (7)||3 x #12||0.63||0.83||0.93||541||25D3||25W3||11.81||7.48||55||65||75|
|4 (7)||3 x #12||0.72||0.97||1.07||756||25D3||25W3||13.58||8.85||70||85||95|
|3 (7)||3 x #10||0.78||1.10||1.22||1001||30D4||30W4||15.6||10.04||85||100||115|
|2 (7)||3 x #10||0.84||1.16||1.26||1119||30D4||30W4||16.34||10.43||95||115||130|
|1 (18)||3 x #10||0.99||1.33||1.44||1397||35D5||35W5||18.70||12.01||110||130||145|
|1/0 (18)||3 x #10||1.07||1.39||1.49||1626||35D5||35W5||19.49||12.60||125||150||170|
|2/0 (18)||3 x #10||1.16||1.56||1.69||2009||40D5||40W5||21.85||14.17||145||175||195|
|3/0 (18)||3 x #8||1.26||1.63||1.76||2332||40D5||40W5||22.83||14.76||165||200||225|
|4/0 (18)||3 x #8||1.37||1.77||1.91||2903||45D6||45W6||24.80||15.94||195||230||260|
|250 (36)||3 x #8||1.52||1.95||2.08||3343||50D8||50W8||27.36||17.72||215||255||290|
|350 (36)||3 x #8||1.72||2.05||2.19||4341||(Note 7)||(Note 7)||28.74||18.50||260||310||350|
|500 (36)||3 x #6||1.98||2.37||2.54||6068||(Note 7)||(Note 7)||33.27||21.46||320||380||430|